Happily Ever After

by Phantom

Chapter Four - The Bonding Ceremony

rating: non-sexual romantic

Alita scowled at her reflection in the mirror, "It doesn't seem right." Chromia ran her hands over the breastplate, pressing firmly, and was finally rewarded with a snap as it locked into place. "There, now you look gorgeous."

Alita tugged at the cape nervously, "Am I doing the right thing, Chromie? Maybe he's right, maybe we aren't ready."

Arcee shook her head. "That's just the nervousness talking, trust me. Everything will be perfect."

There was a knock, and Phoenix opened the door, ready to shoo Optimus away if he lurked outside. She stood aside and let Rodimus enter. "Almost ready?" he asked, then saw Alita's distressed expression. "Oh-oh, what's wrong?"

"Just a few jitters," Chromia assured him.

"Is it too late to call this thing off?" Alita asked anxiously.

Rodimus was appalled. "A tad, yes. First of all, I'd look like a fool standing out there with no one to marry. Also, it would crush Optimus. You should see him, it's hysterical. First he started humming the Earth song 'The Wedding March' and twirling around in his cape. By the way, he can't carry a tune to save his life."

"That sounds like Optimus," Alita giggled, spirits lifting. "I wish I could see this."

"You can later," Rodimus grinned, "we're taping it. And after he finished his little dance, he sat down abruptly and looked like he was thinking hard. First he discussed whether he wanted a girl or a boy first, but since he couldn't decide, he turned to thinking about the amount. He was debating between two and three by the time I left."

Alita threw her hands in the air, "Three! A few weeks ago he couldn't stand the thought of having any! And you can't just call up a stork and request a gender. That's it, I should have known. My mate has been replaced by a pod person. And let me say, it's a great improvement." They all shared a laugh, but then she grew serious, "If he's sold on the idea of having a family, I guess my worries are groundless. Let's get on with it." With a sigh of relief, the occupants headed out to take their positions.

"Where is she? Is she alright?" Optimus hissed.

"Don't worry, she's on her way. Lets get moving," Rodimus replied. He and Optimus stepped out into the huge decorated ceremony room, Rodimus heading towards the podium while Optimus stood beneath it, staring down the aisle expectantly. Magnus, his best man, stood by his side. The crowd murmured at the stunning figure Optimus cut with his blue cape draped over his shoulders, trimmed with red. His freshly waxed and polished body gleamed. What was most surprising though, was his exposed face -- beaming.

Their attention was diverted to the back of the hall as Alita made her grand entrance. Optimus gasped at the vision before him. Never had he seen his lover look so stunning. An opaque veil was draped across the twin cones projecting from her head, lined with small white beads. Her cape was white and silky, but her breastplate was a masterpiece -- around its seams ran a pattern of lace etched into the metal. The two lovers admired each other from afar, then as soft music began to play, she advanced up the aisle, Chromia as head bridesmaid and Arcee and Phoenix attending bridesmaids, following behind like a vanguard. The ladies halted while Alita continued to her mate's side, who took her hand and turned to face the podium.

Rodimus smiled down upon the couple. "My time as Autobot leader was often hectic, but there was no happier task than to bond two lovers in a lasting union. I've always thought that these two were the most romantic couple in the world. It's about time, guys," he teased, and the onlookers crammed into the seats, standing in the aisles, or even peering through the windows for lack of room, laughed in amusement.

"But seriously, it's a real honor. Now then, let's get started. Optimus Prime, do you take Alita One to be your eternal bonding partner, to love and cherish as long as you may live?"

Optimus looked at Alita and could barely speak. "I do," he said softly, squeezing her hand. She squeezed back, as moved as he was.

Rodimus turned to her, "Alita One, do you take Optimus Prime to be your eternal bonding partner, to love and cherish as long as you may live?"

"I do," she sighed blissfully, staring into her mate's optics. A sound of sniffling filled the air, and not all of it was from the femmes. Magnus and the bridesmaids fought to keep their composure. They were needed. At Rodimus' gesture, Chromia and Magnus came forward. Chromia expertly tied the red, white, and blue bonding rope around Alita's wrist, while Magnus did the same for Prime with a pink bonding rope. Then the couples wrists were placed together, Alita's on top, to signify their binding unity.

Roddy's grin was irrepressible. "Let's have a kiss," he suggested, prompting a round of cheers. Optimus leaned down, but Alita was faster and grabbed his head, pulling him down into a passionate kiss. The crowd whistled and took pictures as the couple showed no signs of stopping. Finally they came up for air and grinned. They waited patiently for the huge throng to file outside for the next fun part.

The couple finally stepped outside to find a ring of male and female Autobots, ten each, bearing weapons. "Three cheers for Optimus and Alita!" they yelled, but the cheers were drowned out by the 20-gun salute.

Starscream, true to his name, screamed when he saw the barrage of weaponfire. "We're under attack! Megatron, they knew we were coming!"

"Impossible! This plan was top secret! What better time to hit the Autobots then when they're in a large, vulnerable group? We knew that they were going to have some kind of gathering here, but for what purpose?"

"Judging from their offensive attack, it must be important," Soundwave observed.

"We must find out later, we've been discovered. Decepticons, retreat!" Megatron ordered. And he swore to himself that not a single Decepticon would stir from the base until he found the information leak and plugged it -- with his fusion cannon.

The females gathered in a large group, no one the wiser to the commotion in the sky five miles away. Alita turned around and tossed her cape over her shoulder. There was a brief skirmish, then Chromia emerged as the victor. The other ladies congratulated her and teased her about being next.

The men gathered a bit less eagerly, not too interested in being next to bond but wanting to observe tradition. Optimus tossed his cape and turned to see who the (un)fortunate recipient was. The guys all stood grinning at Perceptor, who was gazing in confusion at the cape in his hand. "Oh dear," he sighed, which only served to amuse everyone else. Everyone would love to see Perceptor dragged off to be bonded, far away from the lab.

The reception was much less crowded but still held plenty of people, due to the many good friends the couple had. They both offered themselves as partners and danced their feet off or helped themselves to many of the snacks. Finally, as the celebration began to wind down, the guests clamored for the final dance to be between the two lovers. Optimus and Alita met in the center of the dance floor, embracing each other and began to sway to the strains of 'Always and Forever'. They stood still for a few moments after the song ended, just holding each other.

The couple was showered with confetti as they ran under the gauntlet of clasped hands above them to their waiting shuttle. They waved farewell, arms around each other's waists, as the shuttle doors closed and the ship rose into the sky.

Optimus and Alita embraced, exhausted yet affectionate. Optimus stroked her back, but Alita brushed his hand away. "Let's rest now. We'll have plenty of time for that sort of thing when we reach Risa."

end of Chapter Four

go to Chapter Five- The Honeymoon
go to Table of Contents

return to Phantom's Adult Fanfic Mini-Archive